Although there is no higher degree than that of a Master Mason, the 29 degrees of the Scottish Rite serve to enrich the philosophy of the Symbolic Lodge. A Mason who chooses to further his Masonic experience by becoming a 32° Scottish Rite Mason will be expanding upon the fundamental principles of Freemasonry.
In the Scottish Rite, you will indeed find an untold wealth of knowledge. It will teach you more about Masonry. It will answer some of the questions raised in the blue lodge degrees. It is a sort of “graduate course” in Masonic teachings. In fact, it aids, supplements and reinforces the blue lodge in every way. As organizations, these bodies are mutually dependent because they strengthen each other.
By joining Scottish Rite, you have an opportunity to expand upon your knowledge of Freemasonry, to widen your circle of friends, and to serve humanity in unique ways.
If you would like to become one of the more than 8,000 members who enjoy the fellowship and activities of the Valley of Pittsburgh please follow the instructions below to apply online or print and fill out our application for membership.
Requirements for Membership
- Be a Master Mason in good standing in your Symbolic Lodge.
- Complete a Petition for Membership: (MSWord File) (PDF File)
- Have the Petition signed by two members of the Valley of Pittsburgh as your recommenders.
- Bring or Mail the completed petition along with an application fee of $200.00 (please make checks payable to Gourgas Lodge of Perfection). This application fee includes your membership dues for one year.
If you have any questions, please call our offices at 412-939-3579.
- Click on one of the following to download the current application form: (MSWord File) (PDF File)
- Display and print the form using the Adobe PDF Reader.
- Fill out the application form and make sure it is signed by 2 recommenders.
- Bring the completed application to the office or mail it to:
- Valley of Pittsburgh
- Greater Pittsburgh Masonic Center
- 3579 Masonic Way
- Pittsburgh, PA 15237-2700
- Click here to email